HAYS IRELAND BLOG

THOUGHTS ON THE WORLD OF WORK

Friday 25 May 2012

Finally, a solution to the economic crisis!

Is it me or are people much happier and more positive this week in comparison to last week?

While out for a stroll at lunchtime today I couldn’t help but notice that most of the people I passed were either smiling or at the very least presenting a far more cheery disposition than that of the previous week. There was also more of an air of positivity around - people’s strides were more purposeful… more of a spring in their step.

And this glow wasn’t just confined to people in the street, shop assistants also appeared to be more friendly and helpful. Even the lady who prepared my sandwich greeted me differently – “How are you today sir? What can I get you?”  instead of the usual snap “What can I get ya?!?”

So what has changed from last week? Let me see…..

Has our national debt been wiped out? Have we miraculously found another 400,000 jobs returning us back to full employment? Nope.  It’s simply the case of the sun coming out!

This got me thinking....what power this natural force has over the Irish people’s psyche. If some nice weather can make such a positive difference in peoples attitudes, why haven’t we been taking advantage of this when its comes to Government strategy? It’s worth a shot!!! Wouldn’t we stand a far greater chance of negotiating a better Croke Park deal if we held emergency meetings this week rather than on a dark, dreary wet week in November? ( I am sure some of those people I passed at lunchtime were members of our union movement!).

Imagine what could be achieved if we brought the Troika and representatives of the ECB over here this week? They say there is no better place than Ireland when the sun is out. Let them get a feel for the real Irish 'cead mile failte' in overdrive. I’d say we would cut a far better deal.

But let’s not stop there. Imagine if the Island of Ireland was located on the west coast of America? We probably would have never have gotten into this bloody economic mess in the first place!

Am I placing too much trust on the affect of the sun on Ireland OR could this be the way forward?


Eamonn Wren
Finance Director
Ireland

HAYS Recruiting experts worldwide
Dublin

T: +353 1 619 0528
E: eamonn.wren@hays.com


Linkedin   |  Twitter    |   Facebook
hays.ie

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home